Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentines

Valentine's day is finally over. I have so many mixed feelings about this day, that I don't even know where to begin.

Firstly, I can't stand the fact that it's not a real holiday. I mean, it's not really a celebration of anything, it's just a commercial, made up holiday for the shops to sell all the heart shaped crap they couldn't sell throughout the rest of the year. The media makes you feel like you HAVE to buy something expensive to impress your loved ones and makes you feel like you're worthless if you didn't get anything.

The worst part is not that you might not get anything, but that the people who did get something only complain about it. I hate listening to people complaining that they got bad gifts when they should be thankful they got something in the first place. A friend of mine complained how she only got a necklace. ONLY? I mean come on, you got a necklace! (and it wasn't cheap, mind you).

On the other side of the picture are those that spend all their savings trying to impress their loved ones, only to hear "I only got a necklace" as thanks. I know a person who hates this month because his girlfriend's birthday, Valentine's day and their anniversary happen to come up only a few days apart. She isn't happy with just one gift. No. She wants three gifts. I know too many people who are that materialistic. I've heard too many people say "He only got me a little teddy bear" when the teddy was not little at all and was worth about a month's salary. Some people are never happy.

On the other hand, if you're not among those that hate the holiday, you might be one who can't wait till February 14th to show how much you love someone. If you have a reason to celebrate the holiday, why shouldn't you? I mean, I like the notion of having a day where you get to celebrate that you're in love... but shouldn't you celebrate that everyday? I admit, I used to hate Valentine's day in the past, but not because of the afore mentioned reasons. It was because I couldn't stand being abandoned by everyone else cause they were off to celebrate with their partners. I was always the third wheel, therefore I would spend my Valentine's day alone, wondering why nobody thought of me. But now that I do have someone to celebrate with, I feel somewhat guilty that I might be doing to someone what was done to me in the past. This tends to make me not want to celebrate.

It's really all just BS, and I wish I could just ignore the day. It's no different than any other day anyway. But the media makes it impossible to ignore, and if you do somehow manage to ignore the media, you're bombarded by comments from people who keep reminding you that they hate Valentine's day. If they hate it, they should just ignore it, or possibly throw eggs at people who are in love, for the fun of it ;)

I have to admit though, that it is somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine. I have every reason to celebrate Valentine's day, even though I hate spending a lot of money for a commercial holiday. But I don't feel guilty at all that I celebrated Valentine's weekend with the one I love. It was so worth it.

All in all... I like what the day stands for... I just wish that there wasn't such fuss over it. It's not the end of the world if you're single, and it's not the only day of the year to show the person you love how you feel. Don't you wish you were cupid sometimes? It would be awesome to have his aim and a crossbow at times, wouldn't it? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment