Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ah, School

For those of you who are students, you know what I mean when I say school can be a bit harsh and frankly cruel. If you've graduated already, you're probably wishing you're still in your school years, but lets admit it... it's not because of the school itself. You're just nostalgic for times were you were younger and more energetic, right?

It's not the same for everyone. I've been a student for the most part of my life. I'm at an age where I'm sick of everything school related. I have to keep this up for another couple of years, and I honestly can't wait for it to be over. I know that I'll probably miss the busy lifestyle when it's all over, and of course I'll miss my crazy friends. But times change, and so do people, and once you start working, you're going to make more crazy friends (hopefully).

Although I hate the stress related to deadlines and impossible assignments, I have to say that I really appreciate being given the chance to experience it in the first place. I know a lot of people who weren't so lucky.

In this country, we don't have any natural resources, so the only thing our country has to offer is human resources. That's why our country invests in education and school benefits. However, despite having free higher education and even being given stipend, a lot of people still didn't have the opportunity to continue their studies. This worries me, since I believe everyone should have the chance to continue with their studies if they wish, but the system isn't very forgiving. We've come to a point where if you don't continue your studies, you're not going to be able to go on in life at all. It's almost like a barrier, where all those who had to stop their studies are destined to having a very hard life in the shadows of all those who were able to move on academically. There used to be a time where the people who couldn't continue their studies were still able to find good jobs albeit hard and strenuous. But now, even the minimum wage jobs are being given to people who are over qualified and are just looking to make money. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that qualified people are being given the chance to work low paying jobs for money, but it leaves those who cannot find better work in a lousy position.

When we take a look at other countries, we should be very thankful for our education system despite all it's flaws. Countries like England and Italy are having very big problems with their education system and people are protesting. It's almost impossible for one to continue their studies abroad unless they come from wealthy families. We should be very thankful that our system gives students the liberty of academic success with a monthly stipend, student benefits and various courses to choose from. We also have a school that allows people to continue their studies even if they have no qualifications at all. This is why it worries me to see people in miserable conditions because they can't even find even a minimum wage job. I know unemployment is a problem for everyone, but these people can't find a job not because there aren't any, but because they're under qualified in comparison to others who apply. Why should anyone be under qualified in this day and age when our system allows for so many paths to improvement?

If willing people are still not given the opportunity to study in this country then something is definitely wrong, and I don't mean in the education department.

No comments:

Post a Comment