Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Christmas Nightmares

Christmas has come and gone just like it does every year. People obsessively fuss about it only to forget all about it by the 26th. Kids enjoy their presents for the first week, then throw them in the pile of toys they have shoved in some corner of their rooms. Adults eat the probable gift of chocolates, puddings or cakes, then regret doing so when their summer trousers don't fit. Ah yes Christmas. The time of the year when people stop acting like douche-bags long enough to get gifts out of people they probably won't talk to for the rest of the year.

All this aside, I love Christmas. That's because I spend it with people who don't obsess over trivial things. My family and friends focus on good will and being together for the holidays (or at least most of them do anyway). Of course you will always find the people who choose to partake in the commercial part of Christmas.

Everyone likes gifts, and there's nothing wrong with buying, or better yet making something for your loved ones. However, if there's one thing I can't stand it's spoiling children with useless presents and over-hyped lame toys. Let me give you an example:

My 7 year old cousin was writing her Christmas list, like most children do to send to Santa. However, she knew this list wasn't for Santa. She wrote it to her aunt, who she knew always gives her great gifts. She wrote the numbers 1 to 5, skipping a line every time, ready to write down the toys she knew she wouldn't get from her parents. She promptly wrote, without hesitation, that she wanted the big, expensive Playmobil Hospital, since she already owns 2 of the Playmobil Mansions that she received before her 3rd birthday. She also said she wanted a "Fur-real dog" that doesn't poop since she didn't like her 2 real dogs' poo, along with several other useless and expensive toys.

In attempts of being like her sister, my 5 year old cousin also started to write what she wanted. The first on the list was a Hula Hoop. She wrote this one because she heard the chipmunks say they wanted one in their Christmas song. My thoughts were "At least, something that makes her do some sort of exercise". Of course she wrote this one completely unaware that she has to make the effort to keep it up, unlike her multitude of electronic toys that do all the work for you. She added a lot more things, most of which talk, light up or require some sort of power to work. She also requested a computer. Unlike her sister, who stopped at just 5 things, she filled in the skipped likes with more requests and useless gadgets that she would throw a fit over if she didn't receive.

I would cringe at the sight if my own children (if I ever have any) would act this way. Back when I was 5 years old, I would have been overjoyed to get a simple non-battery operated soft toy, but nowadays if it doesn't do everything for you, it's not a cool toy. Your imagination is very limited with these specified toys that do all the talking, and I think it's stopping creative thinking in kids...but that's a rant for another day.

My whole point is that kids everywhere (not just my cousins) are starting to take the holidays for granted and act like complete divas. I'm pretty sure their aunt was horrified at the list of their requests, but I'm not sure she held back in buying the gifts anyway. I think it's a pity that these gifts will be long forgotten and tossed.

My boyfriend came across a couple of posts online that I thought made a lot of sense and I think you should take a look too:

Here
And here

Both posts explain my point in a little bit more detail. Lets not fall into the trap of commercial holidays. Let us give gifts that are relevant to the receiver...something they will cherish... something they will use... and most importantly, something that will always remind them of you.

3 comments: