Thursday, December 30, 2010

Acting Crazy In Public

We all like having fun and acting crazy once in a while, and let's be honest, I don't think it's the first time any of us made a fool of ourselves in public just for the hell of it. Though, it makes me wonder why we do it, and should there be a limit to how crazy we can act? Is there a non existant line that we shouldn't cross? What is considered crazy after all?

I ask these things because I'm not sure what is crazy after all. Psychiatrists always say that the first sign of madness is talking to yourself, but who hasn't done that in reality? We all talk to ourselves once in a while, or talk to our appliances and computers when they refuse to work the way we want them to. Does this make us all crazy? Well, if it does, then I like being crazy.

Then there's a whole other kind of crazy. This is what I was mentioning earlier. People who act crazy in public, and often make the people around them look on in disgust. Let me give you an example.

A couple of days ago, I was on a direct bus, waiting for the driver to start the engine when I noticed a group of four girls, around the age of sixteen, acting stupid and loud in the seats opposite mine. I didn't mind of course, cause they looked like they were having fun... that is until the bus finally started moving. These girls proceeded to open all the windows (and it was freezing that day) and point their digital camera out one of the windows. They then began screaming and waving at people whilst recording their reaction on their camera. At first I thought it was funny, but it got very annoying after a whole 15 minutes of nonsense. They even had the nerve to complain that there weren't enough people to harass in the streets. When I was at the end of my journey, the bus driver got up and yelled at these four girls, who in turn laughed in his face up until I got off the bus. I'm not sure what happened after that, but I left the bus with a lot to think about.

"Do we only take pleasure in making fun of others?" I thought as I walked away from the bus stop. Then I wondered what it was that made these girls have so much fun, and I realised it was just the act of craziness itself. People somehow like acting crazy, just cause it's fun... and this bothered me.

Yesterday I had the misfortune of being in such a situation again. This time however, I was with the group of girls who were acting crazy. At first, it was funny... 15 minutes later it was annoying... an hour later I started to wonder what medication these people were on. How can one act so stupid and crazy for a whole hour without getting bored or possibly embarrassed. I honestly pity the people that had to put up with it whilst we were on the bus. I wasn't partaking in the craziness, and I didn't want to be seen with those people at the time, because honestly it was embarrassing and humiliating. I don't like that kind of crazy... not in the least.

Of course, then there's what is considered medically crazy. That is a subject I don't know enough about to be able to say anything. There are far too many different mental diseases to explain and I'm sure that the symptoms are divers and very complicated to understand. However, a friend of mine who works with mentally challenged patients explained to me once that we act no different to them when in these kinds of situations. When we're drunk, or just high on fun, we can be considered clinically mentally challenged. He also explained that he sometimes feels like his patients are more sane that the so-called "normal people". This lead me to think how scary it would be if they threw me in an institute, and the more I tried to act normal, the crazier I would seem.

So here's something to think about. What do you consider crazy? Is there such a thing as a borderline for how crazy you can act before being clinically crazy? One last thing, when someone is considered crazy, is that a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment