Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wall-E syndrome

Has today's youth caught what I have dubbed as the Wall-E syndrome? Have we all become too lazy (although not necessarily too fat) to do the most basic things and possibly lose what makes us human? I believe we're all getting to the point where our evolutionary chain will end with those people depicted in Pixar's Wall-E animated movie.

I was talking to a couple of people in my class last week and I was shocked to hear what a lot of them had to say. It seems like most of them don't even know how to take care of themselves if they were to be left alone. Now this wouldn't be too bad if there were under the age of 12, but these people are all over 18, so it's disturbing to say the least.

I was appalled when one of them told me how she hated her mother's food, yet instead of making something for herself, she yells at her mother, often throws the food out and orders take-out instead. Is this really how we've become? I asked her why she doesn't just cook for herself if she really doesn't like her mother's cooking, but she looked at me in disgust and told me that she'd rather spend all her money on take-out then cook something herself. She also admitted that she wouldn't know how to cook if she tried anyway.

I wasn't all that surprised when the rest of the group started to agree with her. The food part wasn't the worst of it either. They all admitted to never helping out at home. They don't do any chores because they find it, and I quote, "disgusting when there are bits of food on the dishes when you have to wash them. First thing I'm buying when I get married is a dishwasher." I can't say I disagree that washing the dishes isn't pleasant, but what did they expect to find on a plate if it's not bits of food? You also have to clean most of the plate before putting it in a dishwasher anyway since bits of food will clog the drain and possibly dirty other dishes.

They don't know how to wash their own laundry, they never clean their own room or sweep or mop or anything at home. They spend their time partying and paying other people to do their work for them. If they plan on getting married, like one of them said, did they really think that anyone would want to be with someone who did nothing for themselves? I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons people split up so early in the marriage. But that's a rant for another day.

Wow. Just wow. We have this level of ignorance in the 21st century. It's rather disturbing in my opinion. At this rate, the depicted people in Wall-E will be a reality in a lot less time than that of the movie.

1 comment:

  1. It will get worse. I suspect that this has to do with the fact that all these people see is glamour, wherever they thread. Think about it: even fast food chains look neat on the outside. Fast food! Something prepared and packaged in so much grease that if you hit a teenager in the face with it, they'll have new acne spots.

    Besides, manual work is considered to be a sign of poverty and/or submission.

    ReplyDelete